Tracking is a method for computer music almost as mature and time-honoured as MIDI. Sometimes better, sometimes not so - always different.
Tracking has to date been the remit of dedicated underground [freeware] software called "Trackers", particular examples of which (eg. Fast Tracker, Impulse Tracker) have almost acrued cult-status with multi-million strong user-bases. The integration of the Tracker architecture (notably its User Interface*) in sequencer software, will bring the best of both worlds to the composer.
Sequenced and "tracked" music will be feasible within a single work. Composers can rely on the MIDI support and score facility of sequencers and/or turn to reViSiT for finer control of their music and audio.
The net result of a tracker, like all music applications, is audio. However, depsite the name, trackers should be likened to a software-sampler rather than a multi-track recorder. Inside a sequencer, reViSiT users will have full run of the hosts facilities in this department.
Though "tracked" music has often been combined with video, no freely-available software exists to this end. reViSiT will be able to use any such facilities in the host sequencer.
* The reViSiT interface is based on that of Impulse Tracker II, a development of Scream Tracker III.
VSTrack is the ultimate union of sequencing and tracking. reViSiT
is a VST Instrument (VSTi) plug-in for VST-hosts (such as
sequencers) that provides a tracker interface, based on Impulse
Tracker II, to the user.
Unlike normal VSTi's which simply take MIDI input, reViSiT's
editor window is a tracker interface, which takes on the role of
the 'music sequencer' - synthesizing both music and sound.
* [ADD] Fast Tracker (XM) file support.
* [ADD] Border around envelope when in focus and empty.
* [ADD] Insert key for adding envelope nodes after current.
* [ADD] Host Keys: Shift-F1..F12 now sent direct to host (for remapping to host functions in the host).
* [ADD] Always-On-Top status now saved with preferences.
* [ADD] Load button in Sample List.
* [ADD] Editor window menu (right click in taskbar).
* [ADD] Sample/Instrument List intelligent sync.
* [ADD] Shift-N copies previous order in order list.
* [MOD] Old help system removed (in prep. for new system).
* [MOD] Ctrl-Alt-R (bring reViSiT to foreground) now works outside Manual keyboard mode.
* [MOD] Workaround for Renoise file dialog problems.
* [MOD] Instrument Tab-key behaviour improved.
* [MOD] Envelope mouse behaviour refined.
* [FIX] Serious playback memory leak.
* [FIX] Occasional crash when playing for first time.
* [FIX] MOD import not setting pattern length to 64 rows.
* [FIX] Sample loops not triggered if Begin = 0.
* [FIX] Samples of zero length causing crashing.
* [FIX] Corners of MIDI settings dialog now transparent.
* [FIX] MOD sample volume now read as default (not global).
* [FIX] Selection and clipboard issues in keyMap.
My name is Stefan Svartling. I am 46 years old & lives in Sweden. I'm running a website called Svartling Network that is tightly integrated with Google+. I also own the largest Apple Community on Google+. Welcome to join!