From the homepage:
Meet the new instrument plug-in powerhouse for your studio. Inspired by legendary subtractive synthesizers, MX4 combines several core synthesis techniques in a unified, hybrid synthesis engine that delivers fresh and vintage sounds alike.
As you explore its many banks and hundreds of presets, you'll soon rely on MX4 as your "go-to" instrument. Fat basses, nasty leads, analog pads, vintage electronica — it's all at your fingertips and conveniently saved with your host application projects for instant recall.
Tweaking sounds is fast and easy with clearly presented controls in one window — but with a depth and sophistication true synth programmers will appreciate. Create your music with pristine 32-bit sound quality, unlimited voices and unlimited polyphony (as much as your host computer allows). MX4's flexible programming and advanced modulation architecture provide the intimacy of a vintage synth, the flexibility of a modular synth, and the innovation of a virtual synth.
Some folks say that the best things in life are free. In the case of our upgrade path to MX4 Version 2, they're absolutely right. MX4 is our unique multi-synth instrument, and it has quickly established itself as a must-have synth plug-in for any desktop studio, whether you're just getting started or adding to a growing collection.
Version 2 is packed with major new features and hundreds of new presets that instantly expand your sonic palette. Best of all, MX4 Version 2 is a free upgrade to all MX4 Version 1 users! It all starts with the pulsating, rhythmic textures of MX4 V2's new Pattern Gate
More built-in effects
Built-in effects allow you to incorporate the effect into your programmed presets, rather than having to apply them separately. MX4 Version 2 adds a flanger, phaser and all-important reverb. All of these effects are CPU efficient and add a broad new sonic palette for you to work with.
Try this: load a mono preset in MX4 Version 2 and listen to it — a pad for example. Now click the stereo button and play it again. Hear how it widens? Now drag the Stereo Detune slider to about 30%. What you'll now hear is nothing short of huge, spread across the stereo field. Now set the Unison Multiplier to 4, and get ready for *really* huge...
Anti-aliased (band-limited) wavetables
MX4 Version 2 gives you the best of both worlds: MX4 version 1's classic wavetables are perfect for that sought-after, searing aliasing effect. And Version 2's new anti-aliased wavetables give you the pure, pristine sound of every included wavetable, even in the highest registers.
Hundreds of new factory presets
Version 2 delivers hundreds of new presets in a wide range of categories, neatly organized into sub-menus for easy browsing. Many take full-advantage of the hottest new features, like the pattern gate, arpeggiator and pattern sequencer.
The Mods page represents an entirely new dimension in multi-synth programming. You now have unprecedented control over the sounds you can sculpt and design in MX4, all just a click away.
Pulsating, rhythmic, hypnotic, groovetronic—these are just some of the words that can be used to describe the rhythm-based effects in MX4 Version 2. Leading off the many new rhythm-based features is the Pattern Gate, which slices MX4's synth section into programmable pulses that are tempo-locked to your host application. Control pulse shape, pattern, length and swing.
MX4 Version 2's arpeggiator gives you everything you need to quickly achieve the arpeggiator effect you are looking for, including the "as played" setting, which lets you control the order in which every note is played. Or go "hands off" with the hold feature, which continues to play the arpeggio even after you let go of the keys.
Trigger an MX4 envelope rhythmically with your host application's tempo. Program any pattern you wish.
Gate and effects topology
Graphically arrange the signal flow of the synth section through MX4's two effects modules and the pattern gate. It's as simple as clicking and dragging.
Enhanced modifier key shortcuts
MX4 provides an innovative, "hands-on" approach to programming modulation sources and destination by clicking directly on the controls in the window with several intuitive modifier key shortcuts. The manipulation is so direct, you'll feel like you are touching the sound itself.
The pattern sequencer gives you the means to rhythmically modulate just about any parameter in MX4, with pin-point control over every step of the pattern. Sure, you can apply it to oscillator pitch, but that's just the beginning. The Pattern Sequencer can be applied to any continuously modulateable parameter, like filters, effects parameters, wavetable index—you name it. This feature alone provides a entire universe of possibilities to explore.
Here is an example of the pattern sequencer controlling the pitch of a synced oscillator.
The envelope follower brings the outside world into MX4 by transforming the amplitude of any external audio signal into a control signal for use inside MX4, as either a modulation source or shaper. Guitar FX and filter FX are examples to get your ideas flowing, but MX4's modulation architecture is so flexible, you'll quickly discover entirely unique ways to dynamically interact with MX4's multi-synth engine.
MX4 ships with five new shapers that will further refine your modulation programming: Invert, Transform, Sample & Hold, Lag Processor and Quantizer. These shapers can mean the difference between making a sound great to your ears and making it perfect.
* Compatible with Mac OS X Tiger
* Multi-architecture synthesis engine — wavetable, frequency modulation (FM), amplitude modulation (AM) & analog emulation.
* MAS (OS X)
* RTAS (OS X)
* Audio Units (OS X)
* Unlimited voices, polyphony and instantiations (as many as your host computer allows).
* Sample-accurate playback (with host applications that support this OS X feature).
* Plug-in convenience — all settings are saved with host software projects for instant recall.
* Modulatable effects – built-in chorus, phaser, flanger, reverb, and delay effects are integrated into MX4’s modulation architecture and are saved as part of the patch.
* Three wavetable oscillators — choose from over 90 wavetables with or without aliasing.
* Audio input — process any audio signal with MX4’s flexible synthesis engine in real time.
* Modulatable waveform symmetry — create and automate dynamic changes in harmonics.
* Oscillator sync — create hard sync effects, just like the legendary Sequential Circuits Prophet Five™ and other classic polysynths.
* Frequency modulation (FM) — oscillator 3 serves as an FM source for oscillator 1, oscillator 2 and the filters.
* Two resonant multimode filters — use low-pass, high-pass, band-pass and notch filters with 4 slope settings for a total of 16 different filter types. Create a wide variety of vintage keyboard sounds. Or stack both filters for 48dB per octave.
* Variable Filter Topology™ — use 14 different filter and distortion configurations to produce over 3,000 different filter topologies, before you even begin tweaking filter parameters.
* Six variable waveshape LFOs — each includes adjustable symmetry, rate delay, fade & phase.
* Four DADSHR envelopes. Envelope time segments adjustable from 0 to 20 seconds.
* Modulation sources — all continuously variable parameters, including LFOs and envelopes, can be modulated by many sources, including track automation, MIDI controllers, LFOs & envelopes. Simply choose a source from a menu and then option-click the MX4 knob or fader that you wish to control with it.
* Open modulation architecture — each source can modulate an unlimited number of parameters simultaneously, providing the highest degree of programming flexibility possible. Conversely, any parameter can be simultaneously modulated by multiple sources.
specifications subject to change without notice
My name is Stefan Svartling. I am 46 years old & lives in Sweden. I'm running a YouTube channel and website called Svartling Network that is tightly integrated with Google+. I also own the largest Apple Community on Google+. Welcome to join! I use Twitter a lot too, so follow me there and please also subscribe to my YouTube Channel and be a Fan on FaceBook too.