REAPER is a powerful Windows application for multitrack recording and editing of audio. REAPER provides a flexible but easy to use interface that is suitable for amateurs and professionals alike.
Fast and powerful editing facilities
* Tool-less mouse interface -- spend less time clicking
* Drag and drop files to instantly import them into a project
* Support for mixing any combination of file type/samplerate/bit depth/etc on each track
* Easily split, move, and resize items
* Each item has easily manipulated fades and volume
* Configurable and editable automatic crossfading of overlapping items
* Per-item pitch shift and time stretch
* Arbitrary item grouping - easily group any number of items across any number of tracks (great for drum editing)
* Markers and envelopes can be moved in logical sync with editing operations
* Ripple editing - moving/deletion of items can optionally affect later items
* Multiple tempos and time signatures per project
* Ability to define regions, and quickly move/copy regions (and their contents), to quickly try out alternate arrangements
* Automation envelopes for volume, pan, and plug-in parameters
* Configurable locking settings (lock items, envelopes, loop selection, etc, independently)
Outstanding routing capabilities
* Tracks can be viewed and used as normal tracks, or....
* Each track can function as a track and as a bus
* Each track can send to any number of other tracks (unlimited multiple parallel sends*)
* Each track can send to any number of hardware outputs (mono or stereo) for monitoring or analog mixing
* Every send can send audio and/or MIDI, audio sends can be before FX, after FX, or after the track's volume/pan faders
* Every send has its own volume/pan/phase controls
* Tracks can have as many as 64 channels, for easy support of multi-out VSTi, as well as enormous sidechain flexibility
* Routing Matrix window for easy viewing and changing of routing
* Feedback routing is supported
Powerful recording options
* Support for direct multi-track recording to all supported formats, including WAV/W64/BWF, MIDI, WavPack, FLAC, and OGG
* Record monitoring allows you to run FX on inputs and route them while stopped and/or while recording
* Per-track record monitoring settings: off, on, tape auto style (monitoring when recording, not monitoring when playing)
* Per-track record mode selection (can record input, mixed track output, track MIDI output, or just monitor+route only)
* Change any track's record arming, input, monitoring, or record mode at any time (even while recording)
* Supports auto-punch in/out, and multi-item/multi-track auto-punch
* Supports looped recording adding takes
* Can record entire mixed (live) output
* Automatically add recorded items to any existing items as new takes
* Automatic gapless file switching to avoid 2GB/4GB filesystem limits
* MIDI files can be inserted in any track
* Piano roll MIDI editor with velocity, pitch, and CC controls
* Support for multi-track recording/monitoring of any MIDI hardware input
* Any number of tracks can send to any MIDI hardware output
* Support for VSTi/DXi softsynths and VST MIDI fx
* Support for recording a track's output (audio or MIDI) independent of what input is selected (meaning you can record live the audio output of a softsynth from a MIDI source, or even more interestingly record the MIDI output of ReaGate from a live (audio) input)
Customizable user interface
* Configurable shortcut keys -- customize the keyboard keys to work the way you are used to, or use REAPER's intuitive default mapping
* Color themes: change the way REAPER appears to meet your tastes, or choose one of nearly 50 themes included
* User arrangeable user interface. The following windows can be hidden, docked, or floated to meet your needs:
o Track mixer view
o Transport controls
o Undo history
o Media explorer
o Routing matrix
o FX browser
o Track FX chains
o Performance meter
Bundled Effects and 3rd party plug-in Support
* Flexible FX chains allow unlimited FX per track*
* Full plug-in delay compensation (PDC), even with all combinations of routing
* Realtime FX processing
* Offline FX processing (Apply FX to item as new take)
* Supports VST/VSTi plug-ins
* Supports DX/DXi plug-ins
* Includes ReaGate, a sidechain-enabled noisegate that supports lookahead
* Includes ReaComp, a sidechain-enabled compressor that supports lookahead
* Includes ReaFIR, an FFT EQ+dynamics processor
* Includes ReaVerb, a convolution reverb
* Includes many user-programmable Jesusonic effects
* For a more complete list, see the REAPER Technical Specifications
Extremely small footprint
REAPER is full featured, but its installer fits on a floppy disk (not that you have one). It starts and closes fast, and is easily installed on new systems or on portable drives.
Easy to use
Equally usable by hobby users and professionals alike. Simply drag and drop one of many kinds of files in to edit existing material, or insert a track and arm it for recording. No complex project settings or definitions are required.
Wide open compatibility
* Human readable and editable project file format
* Support for on-the-fly reading and writing of many common file formats, including WAV/W64/BWF, MID, AIFF, WavPack, FLAC, and OGG
* Support for consolidating track edits, to enable easy export of edited audio
* Support for rendering track stems, to enable easy export (with FX and automation)
* EDL import/export for both Samplitude and Vegas
* Includes ReaRoute, which enables sending/receiving of audio to/from most other ASIO enabled applications
October 19 2006: REAPER v1.32. Vast visual and performance improvements, ReaMote Network FX, and more!
October 16 2006: REAPER v1.30.
October 15 2006: REAPER v1.29.
* track names are now vertically centered
* gradient background support for many windows
* faders have red/green background when in automation mode (colorthemeable)
* included ReaMote slave executable
* custom track colors (optionally affecting track headers too)
* fixed performance issues with tiny peaks files
* redid track/mixer panels and transport to use less windows.
* fixed master track visible performance issues
* custom colors are saved across instances
* improved peaks accuracy while recording
* fixed while-recording stereo peaks
Minimum system: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP with 128MB RAM, 10MB free disk space, 800x600 in 256 colors or higher, Windows compatible sound hardware
Recommended system: Windows 2000/XP with 1GB RAM, >1GB free disk space, 1280x1024 in 16.7M colors, ASIO sound drivers
REAPER is available for download without technological limitations for evaluation purposes. Once you have evaluated REAPER, you should purchase a license:
* Purchase non-commercial license for $39.95 USD
* Purchase commercial-use license for $199.95 USD
* If you wish to upgrade a non-commercial license to commercial, just pay the difference in price ($160.00). Email firstname.lastname@example.org (including your non-commerical license info) and will provide you with instructions.
* Purchasing a license for REAPER v1.x entitles the user to use, on one computer at a time, past and future versions of REAPER up to and including v1.99.
* REAPER is provided with full functionality, and will not expire after any period of time. We trust that you, the user, will obey the license agreement and purchase a license if use continues.
* "Non-commercial use" as defined here, refers to the use of this software for the production of your own content, not for the purpose of making money.
* "Commercial use" as defined here, refers to any use that is not a non-commercial use as defined above, and shall include, but not be limited to either of the following uses: a) the use of this software for the production of other's content for compensation, or b) the use of this software by a business for any purpose.