Morgana is a new commercial Sampler plugin. No price information is available yet.
From the homepage:
When sampling technology was in its infancy, samplers lacked the power required for high-quality interpolation and filtering. Analog-digital converters were primitive, and the sounds that went into these machines came out grittier and darker--but also warmer and punchier. The same qualities that degraded the audio from a technical standpoint had the effect of enhancing the audio from an artistic standpoint.
But where are these instruments today? Why do samplers nowadays endeavor to produce an exact carbon copy instead of adding their own touch? Whatever happened to character, to samplers that feel as if they belong in the hands of musicians instead of laboratory technicians?
We asked ourselves those very questions, and we couldn't come up with any good answers. So we decided to change that.
Morgana is an authentic representation of a vintage digital sampler, designed to be musical rather than accurate while simultaneously free from the clumsy interface or sub-megabyte RAM limitations plagued by old hardware. Morgana doesn't try to boast the most impressive spec sheet, or the most transparent sound. By returning to a simpler architecture, Morgana actually transcends the limitations of typical software samplers, creating an experience that sounds and feels like an actual instrument--one that is inspiring and with a sound all its own.
Watch this space for more information and upcoming demos! Morgana is expected to be released in Q1 2007.
* Faithful representation of sampling technology circa 1984
* High quality 4 pole lowpass filter per voice (analog modeled OTA design)
* Non-destructive input modeling, including samplerate adjustment and mic preamp
* Vintage microprocessor emulation including modulator quantizing and digital crosstalk
* Support for multiple output modes, including mono, stereo, pseudo- stereo, and pseudo-surround with up to 8 outputs
* Dynamic multisample keymapping
* Each copy of Morgana sounds slightly different--just like analog hardware
* Proprietary SampLink technology allows live sample recording across different applications
* Specifically tailored for use in live performances
* 16 voice digital sampler
* Two part multitimbrality
* 8-bit sampling rate
* Variable sample rate from 10.1KHz to 29.41KHz
* Two APDSR envelopes for filter and amplitude
* Two sample oscillators per voice
* 4-pole analog modeled filter per voice with cutoff and resonance controls
* Keytracking generator for filter cutoff
* Relative level, cutoff, transpose, and detune per sample
* Non destructive input modeling with antialias filter, mic preamp, and gain control
* LFO with MIDI clock sync
* Flexible MIDI learn system
* SampLink technology for full-featured realtime sampling capabilities
* Support for WAV, AIFF, and ReCycle sample formats
Morgana will initially be released in VST and RTAS formats for the Windows platform. A Mac version is planned.
* Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
* 500MHz Pentium III processor (or 100% equivalent)
* 256MB RAM
* Sound card with MME- or ASIO-compatible drivers
* 5MB free disk space
* Graphics card with 800x600 resolution and 16-bits color depth
* Windows XP with Service Pack 2
* 1.4GHz Pentium 4 processor (or 100% equivalent)
* 512MB RAM
* Sound card with ASIO-compatible drivers
* 500MB free disk space
* Graphics card with 1280x1024 resolution and 32-bits color depth