I decided to go “all iPad” in the beginning of the year 2014. At first it was some problems on how to do all the stuff I did on my Macbook Air, but I found solutions for everything quite fast. And now almost one year after, I don't want to go back. I don't miss computers at all. Not even the slightest. My iPad and iPhone is my content creation devices, and my Macbook Air is now my content consuming device, connected to my HDTV and used as a media center only. It's easier, faster and more fun to create content on the iPad!
I'm already living in the post-pc era
- Since January 2014
- I don't miss computers at all
- Not even the slightest
- I think it's easier, faster and more fun to not use them
- I use my iPad and iPhone to create all my content. They are my content creation devices and not only for content consuming.
- Blogs / Articles
- Music / Audio
- Photos / Images
- I only use my MacBook Air as a media center now, connected to my HDTV for consuming media only. Music listening, watching movies and streaming video.
- To manage my Apple community
- Change posts categories
- Unblock users
- Add categories
- Add links
- Change description text
- For working with my blog design
- Edit the blog template
- Add and move widgets
- Edit HTML
- Change logo and color codes
- Adjust size and positions
- … And more
- For working with my YouTube channel
- Working with playlists
- Change channel design
- Block users
- Manage comments
- Manage fans
- Manage channel settings
- … And more
- I don't use Office apps like Word, Pages or Excel much or even Rich Text Formatting (RTF) at all.
- So apps like Blogsy is terrible in my experience
- I prefer Markdown and plain text format
- For all my writings
- There is a lot of apps available that supports Markdown
- Markdown makes it easier to blog because it uses plain text and that format is universal and works everywhere. On any device.
- You can easily convert the final Markdown article to any format you want. For example HTML.
- I'm using the amazing app Editorial with Markdown
- Drafts app for note taking in Markdown
- I'm pasting the final HTML code directly on Blogger.com on the web
- No need for a special blogger app when using Markdown
- So simple to do and so fast
- Doesn't matter which blog service you use. Works with all of them.
- I use the excellent iMovie iOS app
- Amazing app. I use it everyday for all my videos
- I record video in iMovie on my iPhone
- Airdrop the whole iMovie project to iPad
- I video edit on iPad
- Because the iPad version is much better than the iPhone version. The iPhone version has no audio waveform visible for example.
- It's easy, fun and fast to edit on the iPad!
- For audio and podcast recording I use the app Opinion for the iPhone
- I often record audio separately for my videos
- It's great to edit the audio clips with this app
- Makes it possible to record one sentence at a time and then put it all together. That way of recording fits me perfectly fine.
- I Airdrop the finished audio to the iMovie project on iPad
To for example create Youtube video thumbnails, I use Apple's Keynote app
- It's great because you can use a Keynote template with the exact right aspect ratio for that
- And it's a fun app to use!
I recommend trying go “all iPad”
- If you have the privilege to do so
- I'm sure most users could use an iPad instead of a computer
- I'm glad I already living in the post-pc era, its the future of computing
- For me it doesn't matter how thin, light or fast the Macbook Air is. The iPad will always be thinner, lighter and faster to use.
- The iPad (and iPhone) will always be more portable than a computer. It makes it possible to work anywhere at anytime.
- The apps are actually better. Some apps do things that no desktop app can. For example Editorial.
- Creating and working with your fingers has a special feeling. It makes it more personal somehow. It makes you come closer to the content.
- For example video editing and music making. Touch control by your fingers is way more natural than any mouse or keyboard. The artist in you comes out to play when working with your hands.
- Touch keyboards makes you write faster. Trust me, you do. They have so many features built-in like auto correction, suggestions, swiping, shortcuts and a lot more that makes it easier, faster and more fun to type!
- The new extension support in iOS 8 makes it possible to do really advanced stuff that is not as easy to do on a computer. For example just select a quote and an extension like Clips formats a complete blog post using markdown for you and sends it to your favorite editor totally automatically.
- It's not as expensive to buy an iPad as it is to buy a Macbook Air
(click on image to view it in full)