In this episode of my English short-form podcast called The 5 minute podcast, I talk about that Google has released Google Photos, a totally free cloud based photo service. It uploads all your photos and videos upto 16 megapixel and 1080p without compression. Here is my thoughts about it and what problems I had before I've got it to work totally fine. Download and listen to this episode via iTunes or manually from this RSS Feed.
See more what this episode is all about in the show notes below.
- Google Photos
- now a separate app
- totally free and unlimited for images up to 16 megapixel and videos up to 1080p
- nothing is free though. You pay with your privacy. Google uses the data about you.
- really creepy good search. You can search for anything and Google Photos finds it. For example “car” and you see all photos with a car in. Amazing
- I love auto awesome and what cool things it do automatically
- I love to have all my video clips I need for video editing on my iPad stored for free in Google Photos
- finally Google has made a great app with perfect integration of iOS share sheet and extensions.
- I had huge problems to get the syncing to work
- the reason were that it's not compatible with Apple's iCloud Photo Library
- when I had iCloud Photo Library active the sync didn't start so I had to turn it off.
- Google released an update that should fix that but it didn't fix it totally
- now the sync / backup starts but it takes an incredible long time to sync
- and then another problem showed up. Then the both services filled my devices with images because Google photos wanted to sync the full photos and not thumbnails so then iCloud Photo Library started to download all photos in full to my devices!
- so after sync finished after two days (!) I had 20GB of photos in total on my devices and no empty storage space!
- so you can't simply use both at the same time
- I deactivated iCloud Photo Library and deleted all photos from my devices
- and now have all photos and videos in Google Photos and a lot of free space on my devices!
- so by using Google photos instead of iCloud Photo Library I don't have to pay for 200GB iCloud drive storage so I downgraded to 20GB.
- and I don't have to buy 128GB versions of the iPhone and iPad this year as I had planned. It's enough with 64GB as I have now.
- so I can save a lot of money using Google Photos instead
- so I will use Google Photos for now. At least until Apple announces something better on WWDC on Monday 😜
- You can send me feedback by email to Svartling@gmail.com or on Twitter.
- You can also send in questions and tips as audio files to me, so that I can add them to a podcast. That way you can be in one of the episodes. I will of course link to you and talk about where they can follow you if you like.
- Please give this Podcast a review in iTunes if you like it. It would help me a lot.
- Follow me on Twitter
- Check out my Swedish long form podcast.
Here is a video for those who prefer video over audio:
Subscribe to my English podcast: The 5 minute podcast!
The 5 minute podcast! It will bring you the latest news and rumors about technology and gadgets, and of course a lot about Apple, but also other stuff that I find interesting. Please support me by subscribing to this podcast via iTunes! Or you can manually subscribe by adding the RSS Feed to your favorite podcast player.This is my English short-form podcast called