I have now also tried Wunderlist and didn't like it.
Reasons why I don't like Wunderlist
- You only get notifications once on recurring tasks. And by that I mean all notifications, even the notification on the app icon itself. So if I have a task that I want to do every day or once every week for example, I only get a notification for that task the first time!
- The Microsoft Outlook integration doesn't work. And I am not the only one.
- The Apple Watch app doesn't have complications(What’s a complication?1) so I can't see how many tasks I have left directly on the Watch face. Or add new tasks quickly from a complication. An Apple Watch app needs to have complications to be good.
- You can't do custom recurring tasks from the native Windows app?!
- Not as easy to defer tasks as it is with Todoist
- Not so many swipe options
- No Karma system
But i'm not saying that Wunderlist doesn't have a few nifty things that Todoist doesn't. For example free notifications (but only once on recurring tasks as I mention above). Same thing with adding files to tasks. You can do that with the free version. You also get a calendar feed that you can add to your favorite calendar app of choice. You don't get any of this with the free version of Todoist.
And because it's Microsoft that owns Wunderlist, they added support for Wunderlist in the really great iOS email app Outlook. It means that you now can see your Wunderlist tasks in the built-in calendar in the Outlook app.
So I stick to Todoist free. The best thing with it is actually it's Apple Watch app. Having a complete task management system on your wrist is one of the best things that has happened for my productivity. Dictating tasks directly from your wrist anywhere you are is amazing. I do it while walking, driving and even on the toilet sometimes :)
And be able to snooze tasks directly from the watch with the new Todoist Apple Watch app is one of the biggest differences between Omnifocus2, Wunderlist and Todoist.
Another very important thing is availability, at my day work I need to use Microsoft Outlook3 and it’s really great that Todoist has an Outlook plugin that works really great! It’s indispensable for me. I really need it.
Here is an old video where I talk about why Todoist is better than Omnifocus:
- You can add special features—called complications—to some watch faces, so you can instantly check things like stock prices, the weather report, or information from other apps you’ve installed. See video below. ↩︎
- Omnifocus has a really good Apple Watch app and complications though, but you can’t snooze or edit tasks on the Apple Watch. And I need to be able to do that. ↩︎
- I have no choice really, I have to use Windows and Microsoft Outlook at work…. ↩︎