From the homepage:
Renoise 1.8 RC released - demo available
Renoise 1.8 Release Candidate has been released. The demo version is now also available.
For the first time since 2005, non-registered users will be able to actually use all the new features in Renoise 1.8.
If all goes well, Renoise 1.8 Final will be ready somewhere in January.
Renoise 1.8 has over 100 improvements and new features compared to Renoise 1.5.2.
The first beta version contained more than 70 changes. Since then we received many suggestions from registered users. That resulted in 30 more changes.
What's new in the RC?
# Simple Routing and Volume options for Sample Prehearing
# New demo song: Black Squirrel - Chukks2Prawniiixe
# Various fixes
Most important new features in Renoise 1.8
# External Audio Recording
# Line-In Routing device
# Accurate BPM
# Full Undo/Redo support
# XRNS, a new and open file format based on XML
# Focusable GUI Components
# Enhanced VST support
# QuickSearch functionality
# FLAC, OGG, MP3 and M4A (AAC) support
1. 49 new additions (in detail),
2. 28 updates (features that got extended),
3. 8 fixes,
4. 15 changes.
* [Add] Menu bar
* [Add] Show used midi-mappings dialogue
* [Add] 7 presets for storing specific custom GUI layouts (bound to the first seven function keys)
* [Add] Keyjazz option
* [Add] Single-pattern or pattern selection rendering to file
* [Add] Render each pattern into a separate file
* [Add] Multiple sample/instrument selection in the diskbrowser (shift click and ctrl click) to import multiple samples or instruments
* [Add] Colour syntax in pattern editor
* [Add] Zooming facility in automation (4 levels: 100, 200, 400 and 800%)
* [Add] Copy / Paste selection in envelope windows (inside and between(:D) automation / instrument envelopes)
* [Add] Line-in device to routing group
* [Add] Search facility to various listings (VST/DSP list; automation list; VSTI list etc.)
* [Add] Copy track in song through pattern editor context menu or shortcut (lctrl-lalt-ld)
* [Add] Added transparent copy mode (aka mix-paste in other trackers) to Advanced Edit which allows you to copy contents in between existing notes
* [Add] Added “Column in song”option to Advanced Edit selection criteria
* [Add] FLAC support (encoding and decoding) FLAC files are stored in 16-, 24- and 32-bit (yes first app to support true 32 bit flac!) format
* [Add] Configurable prehear volume slider in sample-section of the diskbrowser and assignable to master or current selected track.
* Sample editor improvements:
o [Add] Snap-to-Zero for selections and loop-based operations
o [Add] Prehear wave-play on mastertrack or selected track
o [Add] Short-cut key controllable options
o [Add] Added bit-depth option to the conversion dialog
o [Add] Line-in recording which features
+ [Add] Pattern quantization
+ [Add] Record-latency compensation
+ [Add] Channel recording selection (L/R/L+R)
+ [Add] Selectable device input (In general for ASIO:Line-in / Mic/Phono-in etc:depending what the soundcard supports)
+ [Add] Realtime track-fx processing to line-in signal
* [Add] Advanced Mixer which contains:
o [Add] Six switchable control components (mute/solo+panning+fader+volume-value+routing component)
o [Add] VU-meters contain three different min/max limits: −24 to 0dB, −48 to 0dB (default) and −96 to 0dB
o [Add] drag & drop dsp/VST effects in mixer
o [Add] expandable/collapsable parameter tables in Mixer DSP/VST blocks and hide/view labelnames
o [Add] Pre (automatable) and post (none-automatable) and MIDI mappable slide-buttons (vol & pan)
o [Add] Specific ASIO channel routing possibilities
* [Add] Command to temporary skip loading the song-template when creating a new song (ctrl-shift-n)
* [Add] specific keyboard focus areas (highlighted with specific area markers in around the corners)
* [Add] lock keyboard focus to pattern area function
* [Add] CPU Load Threshold
* [Add] Hardware buffer triggering:More control to circumvent audio-card quirks, some soundcards perform better with hardware buffers, but *may* perform unpredictable when using the line-in device or recording with it (wrong bit/freq rate recording / playback etc.)
* [Add] SSE support to improve CPU performance (rates of 10% improvement are possible)
* [Add] Custom root-folders for autobackup files
* [Add] Colour-picker added to theme preferences
* [Add] Mute source in delay DSP
* [Add] Three different sample export types in song/instrument export preferences
* [Add] Added colour invert option to invert the complete theme
* [Add] Printable custom keyboard settings from within any XSLT compliant browser
* [Add] Open/Save as song using common dialog
* [Add] Open Recent songs loadlist
* [Add] Missing vst plugin survey for songs loaded that contain plugin references that lack locally.
* [Update] You can now exclude specific controllers in the MIDI prefs pane
* [Update] Note-Cut behaviour altered to lower CPU usage
* [Update] Flac, Ogg and AAC/M4A added to importable samples, involving improved mp3 support
* [Update] Import format sample-files can now be preheared in the Disk-browser as well
* [Update] Prehear of samples in the diskbrowser can now be initiated by right arrow key (regardless of the prehear button state)
* [Update] Import options (MIDI / raw sample import / wave loop options) can also be altered on-the-fly from the file context menu of the disk browser (use Load File with Options)
* [Update] Samples can now be loaded directly from the XRNS and XRNI archives.
* [Update] Samples in the archives can be replaced with whatever sample format Renoise can read
* [Update] Sample-slot window can be resized so you can balance between the amount of instruments / samples view.
* [Update] All supported file-types can now always be loaded regardless which preset section is selected (song/instrument/sample/theme)
* [Update] Added option for rendering 24-bit quality
* [Update] Effect plugins can be moved by keyboard shortcuts
* [Update] All XML related clipboard contents (pattern / automation / dsp / inst.envelope data etc.) can be shared between Renoise and third party tools (like text editors)
* [Update] Individual MIDI mappings can now be removed without having to redefine all the other controllers
* [Update] Automation can now be controlled by more keyboard shortcuts
* [Update] global Undo/Redo - All actions performed are now all undoable
this includes removing complete tracks and deleting samples from instruments etc
* [Update] You can now hear instruments when playing notes in the mastertrack / sendtracks (excluding track effects!)
* [Update] ASIO auxilary control can also be set in the Mastertrack now
* [Update] Note delay (Dx) and note cut (Fx) commands can now be used in both panning and volume column
* [Update] Increased pattern volume value to 80 (7f) to better support the MIDI volume range
* [Update] Expanded maximum amounts of samples to 256 per instrument
* [Update] Changed file format (XML) for all saved sound-files (song / instrument) to a ZIP-compatible archive
* [Update] Increased beatsync (Now called Sync) value to 512
* [Update] Expanded maximum bpm rate to 999.
* [Update] Automation interpolation process per tick instead of per line. (values are still per line!)
* [Update] International characters are supported now in the fonts. (Using Free Type? fonts)
* [Update] Folder locations in diskbrowser can now be summoned in OS explorer through short-cut / context option.
* [Update] Added global shortcuts for Sequencer navigation: In the keybindings section “global” of the preferences pane, you can now assign keys to navigate the sequencer. These are by default not assigned.
* [Fixed] (Mac) Right side modifier keys work properly now
(to start playing the Pattern / Song by default)
* [Fixed] Changed BPM behaviour to match exact BPM at specific tick-rates (1, 2, 3, 6, 12)
* [Fixed] VST compatability (Allows you to run V2.4 protocol VST’s)
* [Fixed] VST Timing. (VST plugins with own sequencers now run better synchronised to Renoise)
* [Fixed] Click and crackle problems with Delay dsp when automated have been resolved by smoothing out the volume parameter response (feedback / send)
* [Fixed] Buffering issue with Direct Sound? drivers, this might resolve a lot of playback issues as well if experienced so far
* [Fixed] Samples are saved in full true bit rates (24/32 bit) now instead of being converted to 16-bit equivalent
* [Fixed] “Make Selection unique” now sorts pattern sequence in ascending mode instead of descending.
* [Change] Moved Clipboard selection menu from pattern editor context menu to Edit drop-box in menu-bar
* [Change] Removed Midi mapping button from top-right frame, added it to View dropbox of menu-bar
* [Change] Removed Prehear button from the instrument area (still toggable through the numpad decimal-key)
* [Change] Moved Configs to Preferences dialogue approachable from the menu-bar
* [Change] Moved Advance Edit to (expandable/collapsable) side panel on the right side of the pattern editor
* [Change] Moved author/title and song comment to specific dialog, with toggle switch (saved with the song)
* [Change] Moved “Follow automation on song-position changes” to preferences
* [Change] Moved Copy DSP chain from Advanced Edit to Mixer Panel right-click context menu
* [Change] Moved CPU Usage to Song properties and changed name into Quality Mode
* [Change] ASIO channel-names are now shown in the routing list instead of 1 + 2 and 3 + 4
* [Change] Categorised send-device as routing component
* [Change] LFO Device now displays effect and parametername in droplists instead of referring to the devicenumber
* [Change] To read AAC or MP$, you need to install Quicktime 7.0 or higher on windows
* [Change] log-file is being extended instead of overwritten
* [Change] Renoise styled modal dialogs returned.
Renoise is the next generation of music tracker software, combining studio quality sound and virtually infinite expandability with a clear and concise interface putting every parameter and option literally at your fingertips!
Read more about Renoise here.
My name is Stefan Svartling. I am 46 years old & lives in Sweden. I'm running a YouTube channel and website called Svartling Network that is tightly integrated with Google+. I have an English short-form podcast called The 5 minute podcast! And I also have a really great Swedish podcast that you can subscribe to called Svartlingcast. Read more here. I also own the largest Apple Community on Google+. Welcome to join! I use Twitter a lot too, so follow me there and please also subscribe to my YouTube Channel and be a Fan on FaceBook too.