Version 2.8.3 of Ardour, a great and FREE DAW for Mac and Linux has been released. This is an amazing sequencer/DAW. Try it!
Here is the HUGE changelist:
• Ardour can now open un-writable sessions without complaining. This includes sessions on read-only media and those for which write access is not granted to the user.
• support FLAC & Ogg/Vorbis import and export (via system libsndfile)
• provide jdelay-based hardware/port insert latency measurement (note: this is not automatic, but is initiated by the user in the insert GUI)
• Enable very basic automation for On/Off plugin parameters. Write and Read modes only (no Touch, graphical editing is not allowed). It is a little crude but better than none at all and can only get better!
• OSC API now supports add locate command (/ardour/locate i= i=)
• the OS X builds include a fix for a crashing bug in the Pango font handling library. This would often occur during zoom operations.
• plugin/send/insert displays in mixer strips should now always list the correct items
• change keybindings to more closely match 3.0
• make keybindings pay attention only to ”relevant” modifiers (i.e. ignore numlock)
• when loading a template, make sure the user template directory exists
• add track-record-enable-toggle action to menu, to make it actually bindable
• fixup creation of tracks/busses with > 2 channels from track templates
• simplify waveform choices menu
• compiles cleanly with gcc4.4 patches
• limit group button width
• ”in” and ”out” as part of a port name should not be translatable by default, since it will break session portability. French & Polish users who need to get old sessions that have these names translated and need to keep them working should set the environment variable ARDOUR_RETAIN_PORT_NAME_SUFFIX_TRANSLATION to force old behaviour.
• Transpose appears in the popup region context menu as well as the Regions menu
• auto-* buttons now have a fixed size
• keep the transient auto-analyse dialog from showing up more than once per launch of Ardour
• fix some actions that need to be sensitive depending on the existence of selected tracks
• save and recall rectified waveform view setting(s)
• make tearoff windows still forward key events (and thus bindings still work)
• make big clock window into a utility window, not a menu
• Bad syntax in LV2 RDF files no longer causes crash on startup.
• Apply button made clickable when modifying the meter marker at the start of the session.
• fix import channel->track Mapping option so it follows the region/track menu selection
• add shortcuts to both SYSTEM and USER templates folder.
• correctly display wastebasket content size
• reinstate export-region which was lost
• make zoom-to-region more straightforward.
• fix logic in undo, redo and swapping of visual state changes
• Add ”all” items to track right click context menu instead of relying on the -all- edit/mix group
• New Session/Startup dialog changes
◦ if no interface has been identified previously, put the audio setup tab as the first tab
◦ if JACK is not running and no interface has ever been chosen, show JUST the audio setup tab. once JACK is successfully
◦ properly handle situation where use opts not to load a session because of SR mismatch
• better (less crash-prone) behaviour when JACK fails to start from ”within” ardour.
• Freesound mootcher patch (it might work now!)
• LV2 external UIs supported
• LV2 epp logarithmic parameters handled
• LADSPA log parameters default values set appropriately
• handle localized decimal indicator in BarController widget
• i/o buttons now show connection state a bit more sensibly
• edit group visibility maintained in session file
• better behaviour of the splash window with the Ion WM (activated by setting the environment variable ARDOUR_USE_OVERRIDE_REDIRECT_SPLASH)
• ”About” window set as transient for editor
• Prevent sends/inserts from ever being renamed to the same name as a track/bus
• make handling of session and history files more robust across ardour versions
• don’t allow crossfade point dragging to create illegal values
• allow DIST_LIBDIR to override LIBDIR during the build
You can find more info about Ardour here.
"Unlimited audio tracks and buses" Ardour