I'm a huge fan of GTD and task management. I've been using GTD for a very long time now, and it has helped me a lot by making me much more productive and creative. Without it, it wouldn't be possible for me to have my own website, YouTube channel, podcast, Apple community, and also a day job.
So here is some of my secrets to Getting Things Done.
My 5 secrets to getting things done
- Do a brain dump as often as possible. Do it in a trusted system. Directly into the inbox or more focused directly into a project. You have to do this to empty your head from thoughts. Let the trusted system carry them for you instead. You will feel that it's a relief when you start doing this and keep doing it. You will feel fresh and ready to be productive.
- It's also important to do a review of your trusted system often. Not only of the tasks that you haven't done yet, but also of the tasks you have done. It motivates you to see how many tasks you have done every day. So review often. It's important.
- Create projects of really small things too. It's a project as soon as a task is more than one step. The reason why you should do this is because you feel accomplished every time you have completed a whole project. It motivates you to create more. It motivates you to be more productive.
- Keep a journal. Use it to write down your thoughts and what you have been doing that day. Write down all your thoughts. Good and bad. Do it everyday. It's great for reflection.
- You should always have Inbox Zero in all your inboxes. So for example in both your email app and task management system. Use tools like Microsoft Outlook for iOS to accomplish that. Tools where you can schedule emails for later when you have time to process them. And you should use apps that can filter emails automatically for you so you can view the emails that is most important first. By always having Inbox Zero you will both be and feel more organized.
So there you go. I hope this could help some of you to start using the Getting Things Done methodology. Or at least make you more productive. If you like this post, please share it. It would help me a lot. Thank you.