The SwiftKey Android keyboard has been updated with three new resizable keyboards that you can place wherever you like on the screen. I use Swype now because I write faster with it, but SwiftKey is at least second best, so I am interested in this update anyway :)
The new keyboards are named ‘compact’, ‘full’ and ‘thumb’, thumb is designed to split into two sections to make typing easier on a tablet.
What’s new in 4.3?
This new version gives you access to three keyboard layouts, all of which can be resized, and undocked and positioned where you choose on your screen.
Compact: This new feature reduces the width of the keyboard and allows for easier typing with one hand or gesture typing using SwiftKey Flow. It also frees up more of the screen estate on tablets.
Thumb: The keyboard can be split into two areas, enabling fast, comfortable typing with both thumbs. Undock it from the base of the screen for even more flexibility
Full: The traditional full-width keyboard is still available and users with tablets can opt for an extended layout that is similar to the presentation of a physical keyboard.
- Choose from 5 sizes to get your keyboard the perfect size for you
- Undock your keyboard and position it where you choose on your screen
- Rearranged and optimized secondary (123) and tertiary (symbols) layout, based on extensive user testing
- A new theme: previously SwiftKey and SwiftKey Tablet had two different themes called “Dark”. Both are now available on phones and tablets, with the tablet “Dark” renamed as “Forest”
- Extended layout for tablets, including left and right cursor keys
- All 4 cursor keys (up, down, left, right) are now available on the secondary (123) layout on tablets – phone users can still choose to have cursor keys on the main layout
- 10-inch tablets can choose to have a central numpad in the thumb layout in landscape
- Combined phone and tablet app to give a seamless experience across all device sizes
- New language model: Canadian English is now supported - English (CA)
For a limited time only, SwiftKey is currently half price in some countries Play Stores, go get it.