Podcasts is my new hobby. I really like listening to podcasts, and as I YouTuber I've been interested in starting my own “audio only” podcast. But after some research I found out that its quite hard to start a podcast. So I decided to stick to do my videoshow on youtube instead. Here is why.
why starting a podcast is harder than starting a videoshow
There is no free hosting for podcasts that works as good as Youtube for videos. Free podcast hosting always have some annoying limitations that make them useless.
- So you always have to pay for podcast hosting in one way or another. The biggest and most popular video hosting service (Youtube) is totally free.
Podcast hosting costs a lot of money
- You usually have to pay for both hosting of files and traffic.
Not as easy to save and upload audio files to a podcast host as it is with video files
- Video files is directly supported on iOS devices for example. Audio files is not.
- That means that it's very easy for normal people to make and share videos from their mobile devices.
- Video editing software supports Youtube and Vimeo natively. Audio editing software doesn't support podcast hosting services. Sometimes they support Soundcloud though but that's because its more for music.
- Video editing apps for iOS is really good so you don't need to have or use a computer for making videos for your video show.
- Yes audio editing apps is also good on iOS but as I said, no native support for podcast hosting makes it hard to create and share podcasts on a mobile device.
As a podcaster you have to be on iTunes to be known
- And that's way more fiddly than it is to being on YouTube
- You need to have a correctly formatted RSS feed for that for example…
- iTunes is not a host so you have to host your files and RSS feed elsewhere…
It's necessary to have your own website / blog for your podcast
- Otherwise you don't have a “home” for your podcast
- And otherwise your podcasts won't be indexed by Google so that they won't be found in Google Search.
- It also means that your website need to be SEO optimized and well ranked to be found.
- As a Youtuber you don't need that because your Youtube channel is a website, indexed and well ranked by Google. Easy to follow.
It's a lot harder to get revenue to cover the costs for a podcast than it is for a Youtube channel
- Podcast revenue is only possible to get from sponsors. Video revenue is possible to get from both sponsors and ads.
- It's overall harder to make a living out of podcasting than it is to be a Youtuber
It's harder to get followers of a podcast than it is for a YouTube channel
- Youtube is the largest social media site and the second largest search engine in the world. That says everything really.
- Podcasting is still a quite small phenomena
- It's harder for people to understand how to find and listen to podcasts than it is to go to youtube and find videos to watch
- Videos are more shared and easier to watch on social networks
It's harder to share a podcast than it is with a YouTube video
- For example on Google+, Flipboard or Pinterest
- Youtube videos is directly supported on twitter, facebook and google+ for example. Twitter even has a dedicated “card” for youtube videos.
- To share a podcast you have to manually copy the link and share it. And then without a visual presentation.
It's easier to have a video show alone than it is with a podcast
- Most podcasts is recorded with at least two persons discussing. While most videos is recorded with just one person.
- Podcasts is more like talkshows with guests. Video shows is more a “one man show”
Watch videos from the svartlingcast playlist(sorted from oldest to newest):
In this video show, I talk about Apple stuff, apps, how I use apps, how I do stuff on my iOS devices, how I create content, how it is to already live in the post-pc era, and much more. The show is more podcast-like than my other videos. Every episode is usually longer than my other videos. I try to do the show weekly. Please give me some feedback about the show.